The top-handle bag with the well-known Gancino decorative motif is created.
– Ferragamo Ladies Boutiques Japan – that later in 2000 grew to become Ferragamo Japan is established in Tokyo to distribute products there.
– A retrospective on the company opens in the Los Angeles County Museum.
Ferragamo opens in Shanghai, at Shanghai Maison Mode, marking the beginning of growth in China.
A Salvatore Ferragamo Museum, dedicated to footwear and the historical past of the corporate, opens in Palazzo Spini Feroni.
Ferragamo makes sneakers for Madonna when she performs the title role in “Evita”.
– For the centenary of the beginning of Salvatore Ferragamo, a retrospective opens in Tokyo (Sogetsu Kai Foundation) and the primary Competition for Young Footwear Designers is introduced.
– Ferragamo enters a licensing agreement with eyewear maker Luxottica.
– Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Femme is launched.
– September 28th: Fiamma di San Giuliano Ferragamo dies after a protracted illness.